As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been working on making stockings for friends and family lately. It started out as a quick project, just making one for my daughter. But, here I am, nine stockings later. I found it such as satisfying way to use up scraps and get something accomplished!
I cut pieces and strips and just sewed them together in a semi-organized way, trying to capture things that each recipient would appreciate. Because you really don’t see the inside of a stocking, I just used some gingham scrap for the backing – didn’t bother with if it ‘went’ with the theme at all. For the names, I was intending to get them embroidered by someone with a machine that does such things, until I couldn’t find anyone, and the shop that I found wanted $15 each! Yikes. So, I just got out the old embroidery floss and a needle, and did my best. All-in-all I’m pretty happy with how they look. A dear friend’s mum sent me instructions on how to do the embroidered letters with my standard Janome machine, and I’m very keen to try it out on another project (I was already finished half of these when I got her note!). Thanks Clare!
I quilted a few of these using a stippled pattern, but then got on to doing simple horizontal lines – I liked the effect of just sewing 1/4″ from each seam, so that the lines were not evenly spaced but did have a somewhat uniform feel.
This one is very soft and is for a new baby in our lives. The fabric was beautiful to work with – it was from a fat quarter bundle and I will come back with the name … can’t remember it right now!
You may recognize these owls … they were featured in my “Two Little Owls” quilt and I felt the scraps needed to make their way into a few stockings. This one also has leftover polka dots from an Easter Basket project that I made using the tutorial by Diary of a Flutter.Kat, available here.
The lovely little girl getting this stocking loves all things old-fashioned, and in fact has a lovely apron (think “Little House on the Prairie” style) made from the lighter fabric. She wears it daily! I hope she is happy with her stocking.
This one doesn’t have the same name-stitch as the others, as I took apart a purchased stocking and used the topper. I like it, though, and matching is over-rated.
There are those owls again! And a little Flea Market Fancy thrown in for fun.
I am happy with the zig-zag effect on the pepper stocking. I just went totally free-form on the cutting and sewing, and I think it looks pretty cool.
Gingham and owls.
So, there we are! I think I’m done with stockings for this year. My next project is a soft Christmas blanket for my little girl – perfect for cuddling on the couch watching Christmas movies. I found some “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” fabric last year that I snapped up after Christmas … off to get going on it!